In the early 1920's "would-be" entrepreneur, Frank Kelly staged footraces of varying distances aimed at attracting some of the country's most outstanding athletes. Sadly, the venture was doomed as the ground's rough and hilly surface proved entirely unsatisfactory with many of those brave enough to take on the challenge limping off the track with serious leg injuries.
In 1929 following the closure of Chatswood Motor Cycle Club's raceway another layout was developed at "The Paddock" and North Ryde Speedway was built in the natural amphitheatre. A typical meeting comprised of 30 events of ten laps each, from the hill on the north side of the course, fans would follow their daring heroes. This was possibly the first sightings of fan clubs in the North Ryde area, many of them following local Ray Taylor who's first dirt track race meeting was at North Ryde. Ray Taylor the "Mick Doohan" of that period went on to become an Australian Solo Speedway Champion and an International speedway star of the 1930's and 1940's.
The track closed around 1935 when the Chatswood club merged with the Willoughby Motor Cycle Club. "The Paddock" was then reincarnated again for another sporting activity "Golf", perhaps less flamboyant but certainly no less intense in nature.
References: A Vision Unfolding - Celebration of North Ryde Golf by Allan Wilson
http://www.speedwayandroadracehistory.com/sydney-north-ryde.html Speedway and Race History - Official History Website for ASDRA inc.